Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Water for elephants.
Chapel Hill, N.C. : Algonquin Books, ©2006
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||335 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
A novel of star-crossed lovers, set in the circus world circa 1932. When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits, a second-rate circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town. A veterinary student who almost earned his degree, Jacob is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her.--From publisher description.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Circus -- Fiction.
- Depressions -- 1929 -- Fiction.
- Circus performers -- Fiction.
- Parents -- Death -- Fiction.
- Elephants -- Fiction.
- Circus animals -- Fiction.
- Triangles (Interpersonal relations) -- Fiction.
- Circus animals.
- Circus performers.
- Parents -- Death.
- Triangles (Interpersonal relations)
User lists with this item (82)
- Things I Recommend(130 items)
by mad7976 updated about a month ago
- checkout fiction(127 items)
by elfgreen updated 2015-02-12
- Read and Recommended(65 items)
by klathrop518 updated 2015-02-10
- ARK - check out(193 items)
by elfgreen updated 2015-01-22
- FHL Fiction 2014(213 items)
by belcherc updated 2014-11-21