Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Water for elephants.
Chapel Hill, N.C. : Algonquin Books, ©2006
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||1565124995 9781565124998 9781565125605 1565125606 1442066075 9781442066076|
|Description:||335 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
A novel of star-crossed lovers, set in the circus world circa 1932. When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits, a second-rate circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town. A veterinary student who almost earned his degree, Jacob is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her.--From publisher description.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Circus -- Fiction.
- Depressions -- 1929 -- Fiction.
- Circus performers -- Fiction.
- Parents -- Death -- Fiction.
- Elephants -- Fiction.
- Circus animals -- Fiction.
- Triangles (Interpersonal relations) -- Fiction.
- Circus animals.
- Circus performers.
- Parents -- Death.
- Triangles (Interpersonal relations)
- Depressions -- Fiction.
- Trainagles (Interpersonal relations) -- Fiction.
User lists with this item (85)
- Read and Recommended(68 items)
by klathrop518 updated about a month ago
- ARK - check out(208 items)
by elfgreen updated 2017-02-13
- checkout fiction(128 items)
by elfgreen updated 2017-01-13
- Things I Recommend(13 items)
by maryalice07 updated 2016-12-29
- Williams Reads 2016(140 items)
by firstname.lastname@example.org updated 2016-04-25