Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Named Person:||Benjamin Franklin; Benjamin Franklin|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Robert H Patton
|Description:||xxii, 291 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||1775 Machias, Maine --
1776 Boston, Massachusetts --
1776 Providence, Rhode Island --
1776 Brooklyn, New York --
1778 Barbados, West Indies --
1779 Penobscot, Maine --
1779 New London, Connecticut --
1780 Newfoundland, Canada --
1782 Portsmouth, England --
1782 Brooklyn, New York --
1783 Providence, Rhode Island.
|Responsibility:||Robert H. Patton.|
A revelation of America's War of Independence, a sweeping tale of maritime rebel-entrepreneurs bent on personal profit as well as national freedom. Privateers were legalized pirates empowered by the Continental Congress to raid and plunder, at their own considerable risk, as much enemy trade as they could successfully haul back to America's shores. Patton writes how privateering engaged all levels of Revolutionary life, from the dockyards to the assembly halls; how it gave rise to an often cutthroat network of agents who sold captured goods and sparked wild speculation in purchased shares in privateer ventures, enabling sailors to make more money in a month than they might otherwise earn in a year; and how they turned their seafaring talents to the slave trade. Vast fortunes made through privateering survive to this day, among them those of the Peabodys, Cabots, and Lowells of Massachusetts, and the Derbys and Browns of Rhode Island.--From publisher description.
Retrieving notes about this item
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Naval operations.
- Privateering -- United States -- History -- 18th century.
- Franklin, Benjamin, -- 1706-1790.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- France.
- France -- Foreign relations -- United States.
- USA -- Unabhängigkeitskrieg.
- Diplomatic relations.
- United States.
User lists with this item (5)
- Adventure on the High Seas(67 items)
by carteretlibraries updated about 4 days ago
- Portsmouth New Hampshire & the Isles of Shoals from SeacoastNH.com(255 items)
by seacoastnh updated about 2 weeks ago
- Celebrate Our Nation's Independence - July, 2015(25 items)
by dkrexon updated about a month ago
- December new items(102 items)
by JLGardner updated 2014-12-09
- Things to Check Out(126 items)
by shawnanctil updated 2011-08-05